The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)


To be eligible for this benefit program, applicants must be a resident of the state in which they apply, and a U.S. citizen, legal alien or qualified alien. You must be unemployed or underemployed and have low or very low income. You must also be one of the following: Have a child 18 years of age or younger, or Be pregnant, or Be 18 years of age or younger and the head of your household.

To Apply

Most nutrition assistance programs funded by the HHS are administered at the state and local levels. Select your state agency from the following map: